Weeping Beech Park
The weeping beech tree that once stood in this park was planted in 1847 by Samuel Bowne Parsons, a Flushing nursery owner, and was the first of its species to grow in this country. Parsons, who provided Manhattan's Central Park with many of its original trees, brought the Weeping Beech cultivar to America from Belgium. The tree was given landmark status in 1966 and was the first living landmark in New York City. Although the original tree died in 1998, its offspring can be found in Flushing and around the country.
This site was originally part of the Parsons Nursery owned by Samuel and his brother Robert Bowne Parsons. The brothers were active in the Underground Railroad and were known for their humanitarian works.
Next: Margaret Carman Green