Friends Meeting House
This church was built in 1694 and is the city's oldest house of worship in continuous use and the second oldest in the nation. The meeting house was built with 40-foot timbers of Oak trees from the area and features two sets of doors that were originally used as separate entrances for men and women. Until the construction of this building, the Quakers met in the kitchen of John Bowne (around the corner) and Bowne is buried in a graveyard behind the meeting house. The only interruption to its original purpose was during the American Revolution, when the British used it as a prison, hospital and stable.
Next: Macedonia A.M.E. Church