Flushing High School
Flushing High School was the first public secondary school in New York City, receiving its charter from the State in 1875. At the time, Flushing was an independently-governed township with a population of 15,000. Until the opening of FHS, the only high school education available was at private schools that charged tuition.
The original school was located on Sanford Avenue, about a half-mile from the location of the current school. Growth of the student body necessitated construction of the Gothic building in 1915.
Next: Flushing State Armory