Cypress Hills National Cemetery
The reservoir is bordered on the eastern side by Cypress Hills National Cemetery, which was carved out of the private Cypress Hills Cemetery (established 1848) in 1862 to accomodate casualties of the War Between the States. Originally known as the "Union Grounds" it was deeded to the federal government in 1870 and given its current name. In 1884, additional land was purchased to expand to 15 acres. It residents include veterans and family members from all major conflicts since the American Revolutionary War.
Next: Evergreens Cemetery