Bus Terminal Parking Building
1730 Glenarm Place
Architects: Shankland and Ristine (Edward C. Shankland, Ralph M. Shankland and G.W. Ristine, Jr.?)
From the 1992 National Register of Historic Places documentation form:
By the 1920s, Downtown Denver faced a major problem resulting from the growing numbers of workers and shoppers who wished to drive private cars into the area. Parking sites on downtown streets became increasingly scarce, and buses parked at curbs downtown increased traffic congestion...In 1929 the seven-story Art Deco style Bus Terminal Parking Garage at 1730 Glenarm Place addressed the problem. The building, a work of the engineering firm of Shankland and Ristine, featured a concrete exterior divided vertically by pilasters which extended above the roof and spandrels with geometric, floral, and fauna designs. This "Union Depot of the Highways" provided space for the arrival and departure of more than fifty inter-city buses daily, as well as parking spaces for more than five hundred cars. Several auto and bus touring companies also had offices in the building.
Next: Capitol Hill Walking Tour