2016 National Vital Statistics System Births and Leading Causes of Death
2016 State-level data for natality and the ten leading causes of mortality plus transport accidents and assault
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. 2018. "Natality public-use data 2007-2017." Accessed 8 July 2019. http://wonder.cdc.gov/natality-current.html.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. 2017. "Compressed Mortality File 1999-2016." Accessed 8 July 2019. http://wonder.cdc.gov/cmf-icd10.html.
The populations for year 2016 are from the postcensal single-race series of July 1st estimates of the resident population, released by Census Bureau on June 22, 2017; and the postcensal bridged-race series of July 1st estimates of the resident population, released by NCHS on June 26, 2017.
- Total Births
- Birth Rate per 100K
- Female Population
- Fertility Rate per 100K (women)
- Average Birth Weight Grams
Each cause of death has the following columns:
- Deaths: Total number of deaths
- % of Total: Percent of total deaths
- Crude per 100K: The crude death rate per 100,000 population
- Age-Adj per 100K: The age-adjusted death rate per 100,000 population
Cause of death codes are from the International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision (ICD–10).
Sequelae are conditions that are a consequence of a previous disease or injury.
- Total deaths
- Heart Disease (Diseases of the heart): I00-I02 (Acute rheumatic fever); I05-I09 (Chronic rheumatic heart diseases); I11.0 (Hypertensive heart disease with (congestive) heart failure); I11.9 (Hypertensive heart disease without (congestive) heart failure); I13.0 (Hypertensive heart and renal disease with (congestive) heart failure); I13.1 (Hypertensive heart and renal disease with renal failure); I13.2 (Hypertensive heart and renal disease with both (congestive) heart failure and renal failure); I13.9 (Hypertensive heart and renal disease, unspecified); I20-I25 (Ischaemic heart diseases); I26-I28 (Pulmonary heart disease and diseases of pulmonary circulation); I30-I51 (Other forms of heart disease)
- Cancer (Malignant neoplasms): C00-C97 (Malignant neoplasms)
- Accidents (unintentional injuries): V01-V99 (Transport accidents); W00-X59 (Other external causes of accidental injury); Y85.0 (Sequelae of motor-vehicle accident); Y85.9 (Sequelae of other and unspecified transport accidents); Y86 (Sequelae of other accidents)
- Lung (Chronic lower respiratory diseases): J40-J47 (Chronic lower respiratory diseases)
- Stroke (Cerebrovascular diseases): I60-I69 (Cerebrovascular diseases)
- Alzheimer: G30.0 (Alzheimer disease with early onset); G30.1 (Alzheimer disease with late onset); G30.8 (Other Alzheimer disease); G30.9 (Alzheimer disease, unspecified)
- Diabetes: E10-E14 (Diabetes mellitus)
- Pneumonia (Influenza and pneumonia): J09-J18 (Influenza and pneumonia)
- Kidney (Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis): N00-N07 (Glomerular diseases); N17-N19 (Renal failure); N25.0 (Renal osteodystrophy); N25.1 (Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus); N25.8 (Other disorders resulting from impaired renal tubular function); N25.9 (Disorder resulting from impaired renal tubular function, unspecified); N26 (Unspecified contracted kidney); N27.0 (Small kidney, unilateral); N27.1 (Small kidney, bilateral); N27.9 (Small kidney, unspecified)
- Suicide (Intentional self-harm): U03.0 (Terrorism involving explosions and fragments); U03.9 (Terrorism by other and unspecified means); X60-X84 (Intentional self-harm); Y87.0 (Sequelae of intentional self-harm)
- Transport (Pedestrian, bicycle, and motorized transport): V01-V99 (Transport accidents)
- Assault: X85-Y09 (Assault)