Introduction to CARTO
The CARTO mapping platform consists of two major products:
- The CARTO Engine is a cloud-based service (SAAS) that provides a map service, geospatial analysis tools, and APIs. Engine is the software on a web server that performs the visualization and analysis of your data
- The CARTO Builder is a web-based user interface into the CARTO Engine that permits control of visualization and analysis. Builder is the website you use when creating CARTO maps
CARTO provides a wide variety of features that make it comparable to and different from other map services like Google Maps:
- Provisioning of web maps through the CARTO Engine on carto.com
- Supports upload of a variety of data formats (including shapefiles)
- Provides a convenient web interface for design and analysis
- Strong emphasis on attractive and functional visual design
- Android and iOS SDKs for integration with mobile apps
- Access to a library of data
- Analysis tools that can be used with both small and big data
- Availability at a variety of pricing tiers from free accounts to enterprise-quality service and support
The following video is a brief introduction to creating point maps and choropleths using the CARTO Builder.
A wide variety of additional tutorials are available on the CARTO website.