Monroe Civic Center
Opened: 2 September 2 1967
The Monroe Civic Center is a well-preserved example of mid-20th-century modernism on the outskirts of the city. The layout of the buildings around a central fountain plaza echoes a design philosophy also embodied by New York's Lincoln Center. The theatre renamed in 2004 after Monroe's 27th mayor, who served from 1956 - 1972 and 1976 - 1978 and oversaw the building of the Civic Center as well as the Louisiana Purchase Gardens & Zoo and the Monroe City Hall Complex.