Opened: 1857, restored 1977
The Worcester County Mechanics Association was formed as a non-profit organization in 1842 to educate the city's industrial workers by providing classes in the mechanical arts as well as sponsoring cultural and political events for the community. The association soon outgrew its rented spaces and hired Elbridge Boyden to design and construct a new building that became Mechanics Hall. As with other downtown entertainment facilities around America, Mechanics Hall fell on hard times in the mid-20th century, leading to damage and neglect. However, the community rallied to save it from the wrecking ball and sponsored an extensive renovation of the hall in 1977. (3/28/2006)
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were roaring drunk on petroleum. 2006 A.D. Kurt Vonnegut.