Smith Opera House

Geneva, NY

Opened: 1894

Seats: 1,400

Architects: Joseph Pierce and Henry Bickford

thesmith.org

The Romanesque Opera House was built in 1894 for $39,000 by local philanthropist William Smith. In 1929 it was purchased by Schine's Amusement Company and underwent an $500,000 interior reconstruction as a movie palace combining Art Deco and Baroque elements overseen by architect Victor Rigaumount. The house underwent a slow decline culminating in a 1978 seisure by the city for back taxes. The Finger Lakes Regional Arts Council was formed in 1979 to preserve the theatre and incremental renovations have been continuing through the present. The facility was renamed the Smith Opera House in 1983. (4/25/2006)

Smith Opera House - Smith Opera House
04/25/2006 13:14:48
Smith Opera House
Smith Opera House - Smith Opera House
04/25/2006 09:58:59
Smith Opera House
Smith Opera House - Smith Opera House
04/25/2006 10:04:06
Smith Opera House
Smith Opera House - Smith Opera House
04/25/2006 12:13:53
Smith Opera House

There are roughly three New Yorks. There is, first, the New York of the man or woman who was born there, who takes the city for granted and accepts its size, its turbulence as natural and inevitable. Second, there is the New York of the commuter — the city that is devoured by locusts each day and spat out each night. Third, there is New York of the person who was born somewhere else and came to New York in quest of something... Commuters give the city its tidal restlessness, natives give it solidity and continuity, but the settlers give it passion. (E.B. White)