Opened in 1906 as the city's first nickelodeon. Remodeled in Art Moderne style in 1943 and renamed the Rex Theatre. Renamed the Illini Theatre in 1948. Acquire by the Art Theatre guild in 1958 and turned into an art film house. Renamed the Encore theatre from 1963-1966 as a revival house. Re-renamed the Illini Theatre in 1966. Became a porn house in 1968. Closed in 1983 and reopened as a church in 1987. Became a club in 1997. Phew.