175 N. State Street
Opened: October 26, 1921
This theatre designed by Cornelius and George Rapp was America's first movie palace. The $4 million theatre was built in French Baroque style as the flagship for the Balaban and Katz theatre chain. The theatre presented both film and live entertainment until a 1950's modernization relegated it almost exclusively to movies. The house closed in 1985 but was quickly rescued by the City and reopened a year later with a performance by Frank Sinatra. It continued life as both as a mid-sized concert venue and a live theatrical house.
Regret is how we remember what we've learned from our mistakes