White River Lock and Dam No. 1
The first steamboat to navigate the White River to Batesville was the Waverly, which arrived in 1831 with Capt. Phillip Pennywitt as master and Capt. Thomas Todd Turnstall as pilot. The steamboats provided major transportation for both freight and passengers for Batesville until the coming of the railroad from Diaz in 1883. The railroad terminal was in Batesville and the steamboats continued as principal carriers on the upper White River, although they were delayed frequently because of low water.
The Rivers and Harbors Act of 1899 provided for ten locks and dams between Batesville and Buffalo Shoals. Lock and Dam No. 1 here was completed in 1903 and No. 2 and No. 3 were built before the project was dropped as the railroad was constructed up the river. The U.S. Army Engineers maintained the locks and dams until 1951. The property here was deeded to the City of Batesville.
(from an 1976 historical plaque written by Clyde McGinnis)
Excuses are like assholes. Everybody's got one and they all stink. (Greg Barron)