General Motors Plant Demolition
General Motors opened this factory in 1937, and over the years it produced Pontiacs, Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Chevys. At its height it employed 6,000 people. The plant was converted to truck production in 1992 and immediately prior to closing it produced Chevy Blazers and GMC Jimmys, but slowing sales and high employment and production costs doomed the facility. Although a 2003 UAW contract prevented the facility from officially closing until 2007, the plant was idled in early 2005 and GM laid off all but a skeleton crew. The massive 2.7-million-square-foot facility was purchased and demolished in early 2008 with plans to redevelop the site for retail and mixed use light industry.