Georgetown Loop Railroad
The original Georgetown Loop Railroad was built by the Georgetown, Breckenridge and Leadville Railroad (part of the Union Pacific) and opened for service in 1884. The two-mile line connecting the mining towns of Georgetown and Silver Plume just to the west was designed by UP chief engineer Jacob Blickensderfer with a series of curves and bridges that reduced the average grade to a manageable three percent. The scenic route subsequently became a tourist attraction. The line was decommissioned and dismantled by the Colorado and Southern Railway in 1938.
Reconstruction of the line as a tourist attraction began in 1973 (with track and tie donations from the UP) and a three-mile restored segment reopened on 10 March 1984.