700 Lackawanna Avenue
Scranton, PA 18503
Architect: Kenneth MacKenzie Murchison
This Beaux Arts station was built by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad. It is constructed of brick and steel, with concrete floors and partitions. The exterior is faced with Indiana limestone and an 8-foot bronze clock on the façade. The main entrance leading to the former waiting room is furnished in Formosa, a soft, pinkish-yellow Italian marble. Other areas of the former waiting area and halls are decorated with imported marble, and the barrel-vaulted ceiling is Tiffany glass. Originally constructed as a 5-story structure at a cost of approximately $600,000, a 6th floor was added in the 1923 to create additional office space.
After the successor railroad, the Erie Lackawanna, terminated passenger servie on 6 January 1970, the station was shuttered and fell into disrepair. It was purchased in 1982 by a redevelopment corporation formed by the Scranton Chamber of Commerce and was reopened as a hotel on New Years Eve in 1983.