Capitol Limited: Elkhart, IN
Elkhart was originally founded in 1829 as the village of Pulaski, with the name officially changed to Elkhart ten years later. The Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroad arrived in 1851. In 1877, Cornelius Vanderbilt and the New York Central and Hudson River Railway acquired majority stock in the successor Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway. The companies merged in 1914 to form the New York Central RR.
Adjacent to the station is the National New York Central Railroad Museum which was founded in 1987 and which is dedicated to preserving the legacy of what was once the second largest railroad company in the US.