El Paso Union Passenger Station
El Paso, TX
Opened: 1 March 1906
Architect: Daniel Burnham
El Paso's Union Passenger Station was designed by famed Chicago architect Daniel Burnham. In 1940 the exterior was remodeled to give it a more "Southwestern look," with the steeple replaced by a small clock tower and the red brick covered in stucco.
With the decline of passenger rail traffic came a concurrent decline in the building's usefulness and maintenance. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and sold to the city that same year, with subsequent repurposing as a base for the city's bus system. The building was renovated in 1982 with the 1940 changes reverted to the original 1906 appearance. Amtrak leases space in the building from the city and the facility is also available as a rental for events.
Next: The Sunset Limited: Rio Grande
Those who put speed above all other values are often cheated even of speed by their dedication to a single mode of mass locomotion. (Lewis Mumford)