Capitol Limited: Harper's Ferry / Chesapeake and Ohio Canal
Construction of the 185-mile Chesapeake and Ohio Canal began in 1828 and portions of the canal were in operation from 1830 until declining traffic and a major flood led to abandonment in 1924. The canal was transferred to the federal government in 1938 and partially used for recreational purposes. The facility became a national park in 1971. Remnants of the canal and towpaths are visible alongside the tracks from Point of Rocks to Harper\'s Ferry.