PS 186 - Harlem
523 West 145th Street (btw B'way and Amsterdam Ave)
PS 186 was built in 1903 and closed in 1975 during the heart of NYC's financial crisis. It was purchased from the city by the M.L Wilson Boys and Girls Club in 1986 for $215,000 with the provision that the building be reopened within three years - which never happened. In 2007 a proposal was presented for redevelopment of the site as a co-op with a fairly high percentatage of "affordable" units, although that plan does not seem to have gone anywhere either.