1 East 161st Street
Bronx, NY 10451
Opened: April 18, 1923 / April 2, 2009
Architect: Osborn Engineering / HOK Sport
"The Yankee Stadium" was built for $2.5 million on the site of a 10-acre lumberyard across the Harlem River from the Yankees' former home, The Polo Grounds. "The House That Ruth Built" hosted its first game on April 18, 1923 - a 4-1 victory over the Boston Red Sox. The stadium underwent an extensive renovation between 1973 and 1975 designed by Praeger-Kavanaugh-Waterbury.
The 58,000-seat venue was also a home to the New York Giants Football Team and hosted three Papal masses as well as numerous boxing matches. The ballpark hosted four All-Star games and 37 World Series, including 26 Yankee championships. The final game at the stadium was a 7-3 victory over the Baltimore Orioles on September 21, 2008.
Groundbreaking for the second Yankee Stadium was held on August 16, 2006. The $1 billion, 51,800-seat ballpark was designed by HOK Sport of Kansas City and was built across 161st street from the old Yankee Stadium. The design attempted to replicate the look of the old ballpark and keeps the old field dimensions, but added the luxury boxes and other amenities typical of the retro ballparks of the late 20th century.
The stadium was built on park land (much to the consternation of area residents), although the plan was to replace the lost land with purchase of additional park land at other locations in The Bronx.
In conjunction with the construction of the new stadium, Metro North built a long-planned station at 153rd Street. The extraordinary cost of the $91 million station can likely be attributed to the geography of the area, requiring an elevated station house to handle high-capacity crowds and a long truss viaduct to carry passengers over the Bronx Terminal Market and a busy 153rd Street.
The construction of the new stadium required taking 24 acres of McComb's Dam Park, with a plan to replace that parkland with new parks in the area, including a park over the footprint of the old stadium.