SPURA: Seward Park Houses
In 1957, the triangle bounded by Essex, East Broadway and Grand (to the east and north of the park) was condemned and leveled to build the Seward Park Houses as a private, free-market co-op. 219 buildings (most dating well back into the 19th century) housing 4,300 people were demolished. The development that opened in 1960 consisted of four 20-story residential buildings housing 1,728 families, two commercial structures and a small office building.
Next: SPURA: Library / Bialystoker Home