233-247 West 63rd and 234-248 West 64th Street between Amsterdam and West End Avenues
Phipps Houses was founded in 1905 with a $1 million gift from Henry Phipps, a partner in the Carnegie Steel Company (which became part of U.S. Steel). The organization was created to create quality housing for working class New Yorkers. This group of apartment buildings was one of the organization's early projects that was erected between 1907 and 1911 and was specifically directed toward the African-American residents of the area, unlike developments in later eras that were intended to displace existing poor and minority residents.
Pioneering jazz pianist Thelonious Monk lived most of his life in Phipps Houses.
Next: LaGuardia Arts