John Jay College of Criminal Justice
899 Tenth Avenue
The John Jay College of Criminal Justice was founded in 1964 as the College of Police Science. The main building (on Amsterdam Avenue just south of 59th Street) was designed by Charles B.J. Snyder and built in 1903 as DeWitt Clinton High School. That high school moved to the Bronx in 1929 and the Tenth Avenue building became Haaren High School, named after John Henry Haaren, an associate superintendent of schools and president of the department of pedagogy at Brooklyn Institute. The college moved into the building in 1988.
Next: Mount Sinai West (St. Luke's - Roosevelt) Hospital