IRT Generating Plant
Architects: McKim, Mead and White
The IRT Generating Plant on 11th Avenue (WEA) between 58th/59th Streets (just to the southwest of San Juan Hill) was built in 1904 to supply power to the new Interborough Rapit Transit Company subway which opened that year. The location was chosen in part to permit ready access to coal shipments via the Hudson River just to the west and in its heyday, used 1,000 tons of coal per day to generate 132,000 horsepower. The exterior has undergone numerous modifications over the years, including replacement of the original five smokestack with a single concrete stack. The city sold the facility to Con Edison in 1959 which integrated it into the power grid and sold the steam to neighborhood customers for heating.
Next: 10 West End Avenue