Riverside Drive Extension / 72nd Street Exit
The original configuration of the Miller Highway terminated at 72nd Street with a 90-degree turn onto 72nd Street . When the Henry Hudson Parkway was completed north through Riverside Park in 1936 as part of the "West Side Improvement", the Miller Highway continued north directly onto the Parkway. A complex "interchange" permitted entry from and exit to 72nd Street. Although the ramps to/from the southbound lanes were removed prior to the 1990s renovation of the viaduct, vestigial substructure remained.
Drivers wishing to go southbound could take a ramp from Riverside Drive that passed under the northbound lanes and rose between the lanes to a left-hand entrance ramp.
There was a corresponding exit from the southbound Parkway that exited at 72nd Street and passed under both lanes to empty onto 70th Street.
The exit from the northbound lanes on to 72nd street was closed in 2007 in order to permit routing of Riverside Drive into the Riverside South development.
Next: Riverside South