143 East Houston Street (between 1st and 2nd Avenues)
Architects: Tony Pleskow and Tom Rael
The Houston Hippodrome was a venue for Yiddish vaudeville acts and films. In 1917 the 600-seat venue was renamed the Sunshine Theatre. The theater closed in 1945 and was used as a storage warehouse into the mid-1990s. The theatre underwent a three-year, $12 million renovation to create an art film house with five auditoriums.
Next: Terminal Theatre