St. George Theatre

35 Hyatt Street

Staten Island, NY 10301

40.642029, -74.077430

Opened: 4 December 1929

Seats: 2,800

Architects: Eugene DeRosa, James Whitford, and Nestor Castro (interior design)

This movie and vaudeville house was built by independent theatre owner Solomon Brill as part of a $2 MM office and theatre complex. The Spanish and Italian Baroque interior originally featured a Wurlitzer theatre organ. The theatre was largely devoted to film after 1934 until 1977. Subsequent attempts over the next three decades to turn the theatre into a roller rink, an antique showroom, a night club, and a performing arts center were unsuccessful until 2004 when dance teacher Rosemary Cappozalo and her daughters, Luanne Sorrentino, Doreen Cugno, and Rosemary Hillers, started a not-for-profit organization to save the theatre from demolition and reopen it as a live performance venue.

12/07/2018 19:28:16
Marquee
12/07/2018 19:39:06
Lobby
12/07/2018 19:39:32
Lobby
12/07/2018 19:39:42
Lobby balcony
12/07/2018 19:40:35
Lobby
12/07/2018 19:45:04
Rejuvinated St. George enjoying a curtain call
12/07/2018 19:45:24
Old theatre ads
12/07/2018 19:46:10
Lobby murals
12/07/2018 19:46:36
Lobby balcony
12/07/2018 19:47:24
Bullfighter mural
12/07/2018 19:50:30
Stage
12/07/2018 19:51:06
Stage
12/07/2018 19:52:49
Naked statue
12/07/2018 20:33:55
Balcony
12/07/2018 20:34:02
Balcony

Next: Sunshine Cinema