Clemente Soto Valez Cultural Center (CSV Cultural Center)
107 Suffolk Street (between Delancey and Rivington)
The former PS 160 is a Dutch Neo-Gothic building constructed in 1898 by the Board of Education. The school closed in the mid 70s, although the building is still owned by the City of New York. In 1984 it became the new home for Solidaridad Humana, a bilingual education program that had started in 1971. Named after a Puerto Rican poet, the Clemente Soto Velez Cultural and Educational Center (CSV) was established in 1993 with the mission of nurturing and developing Puerto Rican and Latino arts in the Lower East Side.
Next: House of Candles