Circle Theatre

1825 Broadway at 60th Street

The Circle Theatre was originally designed by Charles Cavenaugh and opened in 1901. It was intended as a vaudeville house but the objections of the nearby Paulist Fathers lead to the commercially unsuccessful presentation of orchestral music. A remodeling in 1906 designed by Thomas Lamb converted it to a legit theatre. In 1939, the building was converted again into the Columbus Circle Roller Rink. The building was demolished in 1954 to make way for Robert Moses' New York Coliseum, which in turn was demolished in 2000 to make way for the Time Warner Center.

1901
Circle Theatre (Byron Company, Museum of the City of New York)
07/13/2008 08:35:44
Time Warner Center

Next: Lincoln Center