Sullivan Street Playhouse
181 Sullivan Street (between Houston Street & Bleeker Street)
The 1830's era Greek revival rowhouse was converted into a theatre in 1960 as part of the burgeoning Off-Broadway theatre scene. The theatre was home to The Fantastics for over 40 years until spotty attendance, Osama Bin Laden and exploding real estate values convinced the producers and building owner to close the show in 2002.
The building was demolished in 2006 and replaced with condos. In a bit of sadistic irony, the developers marketed the condos with the byline, "Four Fantastic Condominium Residences."
Next: Tenement Theatre