Ontological Theatre / Incubator Arts Project / St. Mark's Church in-the-Bowery
131 East 10th Street (just East of 3rd Avenue)
Seats: 75-seat theatre in a church
This late Georgian (1799) church replaced the church Peter Styuvesent built in 1660 on his Bouwerie or Farm, making this Manhattan's oldest site used for a place of worhip. Not only is the last Dutch Governor-General buried here, but also seven generations of his descendants as well as members of the Schermerhorn and Lorillard families. The Greek Revival steeple, added in 1828, and the Italianate cast iron porch of 1854 harmonize remarkably well with the original church. (NY Community Trust)
Richard Forman's Ontological-Hysteric Theatre occupied the space from 1992 - 2005, followed by the Incubator Arts Project until 2010.
Next: Orpheum Theatre