Bank Street Theatre / Westbeth Theater Center
155 Bank Street (between Washington Street & West Street)
In 1894 the Western Electric Company of Chicago erected a factory at the intersection of West Street and Bethune Street in New York's Greenwich Village. In 1907 the American Telephone and Telegraph Company centered its development facilities at the site. In 1966 Bell Labs moved to Summit, NJ and placed the NYC site up for sale. The space was purchased by the J.M. Kaplan Fund and developed into Westbeth to provide living and studio space for artists. The Bank Street Theatre is an 83-seat venue in the complex.
The Westbeth Theatre Center operated out of the complex from 1975 - 2002 until being booted for the New School Acting program (which was willing to pay market rate rents).
Next: Bottle Factory