Brooklyn Academy of Music
30 Lafeyette Avenue
This Beaux Arts building in Fort Greene was designed by Henry Herts and Hugh Tallant (who also designed the New Amsterdam on 42nd Street) and opened in 1908. The Brooklyn Academy of Music was initially founded in 1861 as the home for the Philharmonic Society of Brooklyn with a facility at 176-194 Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights, but relocated to this Fort Greene facility when the Brooklyn Heights building burned in 1903.
Although the building is dominated by its 2,109-seat opera house, it also includes a smaller 874-seat theatre, an art film theatre and a flexible rehearsal/performance space.
Next: Carnegie Hall