523 East 76th Public Bath
This bath was built in John Jay Park, located in what was then Little Bohemia, a Czech and Hungarian neighborhood within Yorkville, a larger German neighborhood. The first parcel of land for the park was acquired by the City in 1902 by condemnation. The swimming complex was built by the WPA and opened in phases between 1940 and 1942. The outdoor pool opened in 1940 and, in 1941, the bathhouse was remodeled and reopened as a recreation center with an auditorium, gym, recreation room and changing facility, but, presumably, without extensive public bathing facilities. (historical sign).
Douglas Abdell's sculptures were installed on the west side of the park (Cherokee Place) in 1979 and the park and playground areas underwent extensive renovations in 1985 and 1995. The address of the bathhouse may have placed it in what is now the sculpture garden so there is the possibility that the 1906 bathhouse was another building on this site that has been demolished. However, the current park building would seem to be of appropriate vintage, albeit a bit small.
Next: 243 East 109th Street Public Bath