Lower Highland Park
This area of Highland Park to the south of the reservoir (and at a lower altitude) was added to the park in 1905 when the city purchased the former estate of Johannes Schenck. Schenck emigrated from Holland to the colony of New York in 1683 and worked as a teacher and town clerk in Flatbush, New York, and Bushwick. A Dutch-style farmhouse was included in the sale and was used as a park facility until being demolished in 1940.
Next: Cypress Hills National Cemetery