Ederle Terrace

This site on the northern side of Meadow Lake was the home of an Ampitheatre (also known as the Billy Rose Aquacade) built for the 1939 World's Fair. After the fair it was reopened as a public pool. It was renamed Gertrude B. Ederle Amphitheater in 1976 to mark the 50th anniversary of the Olympian's historic swim across the English Channel. The Ampitheatre fell into glorious decay after years of neglect and was finally demolished in 1996. After a planned new pool was moved to the other side of the park, the $13.5 million Ederle Terrace project was completed in 2004 with 13 landscaped acres of parkland and a new comfort station. (reference) (NY Times History)

Ederle Terrace
3/30/2007 01:28 PM
Ederle Terrace
3/30/2007 01:28 PM
Ederle Terrace
3/30/2007 01:29 PM
Ederle Terrace
3/30/2007 01:24 PM