Tennis Courts

Central Park's 26 clay and four asphalt tennis courts are located between West 94th and West 96th Streets, near the West Drive. Lawn tennis first came to the park in the 1880s following the advent of a lawn tennis craze in Britain in the 1870s. Tennis was first permitted in the park with temporary nets on this location in 1884, growing to a point where there were 125 grass courts in the upper park by 1892 (Rosenzweig pp 312). Parks Commissioner Robert Moses added asphalt courts here in the 1920s and the tennis house was built in 1930.

Tennis Courts
4/15/2005 02:27 PM
Tennis Courts
4/15/2005 02:28 PM
Tennis Courts
8/9/2007 04:52 PM
Tennis Courts
8/9/2007 04:52 PM
Tennis Courts
4/10/2008 03:40 PM