Ladies' Pond

This meadow just inside the west side of the park around West 78th street used to be the Ladies' Pond, which, when frozen, was reserved for ladies' ice-skating to provide an alternative to the more leering, rough-and-tumble activities on The Lake, just to the East. It was filled in in 1888 during a malaria threat as part of a park-wide project to dredge the lakes and improve drainage. (Rosenzweig pp 294) The area still drains into the Lake through a small stream, although the south end has a tendency to briefly return to its aquatic state during heavy rains.

Ladies Pond
4/2/2007 12:27 PM
Ladies Pond
6/7/2007 01:11 PM
Ladies Pond
6/7/2007 01:12 PM
Ladies Pond
6/7/2007 01:13 PM
Ladies Pond
6/7/2007 01:14 PM
Ladies Pond
8/23/2007 03:43 PM
Ladies Pond
8/23/2007 03:43 PM
Ladies Pond
8/28/2007 03:32 PM
Ladies Pond
7/1/2009 08:07 AM