Under the initiative of Mayor LaGuardia, Sixth Avenue was renamed "The Avenue of the Americas" in 1945 to honor Pan-American ideals and principals. Landscape architect Gilmore D. Clarke redesigned the Artists' Gate Sixth Avenue entrance in 1951. The Bolivar statue was moved to a new black granite pedestal at this Sixth Avenue entrance and rededicated on April 19, 1951. The Jose de San Martin statue was installed a month later and the trio of Latin American patriots was completed with the installation of the Jose Marti statue in 1965.
Next: Christopher Columbus