Built 1859 - 1862 by Calvert Vaux and Jacob Wrey Mould, with ironwork by Janes, Kirtland & Co.
Cast iron pedestrian bridge
Spans the Lake northeast of Bethesda Terrace and west of the boathouse
One of the most popular and often photographed bridges in the park. One of the original seven cast iron bridges built in the park between 1859 and 1875. The bridge was renovated in 1974 and 1998. The railing features Gothic cinquefoils and interlaced spiral designs. Cannonballs are set in the base of the north end of the bridge to allow temperature expansion.
Next: Claremont Arch