The Valentine-Varian House is a two-story Georgian farmhouse built of feldstone by Isaac Valentine in 1785 near the Boston Post Road. The house survived British occupation and a number of nearby battles during the Revolutionary War. The Valentines sold the home and surrounding 260-acre property to Isaac Varian in 1792 and the Varians (including a later Isaac Varian who was Mayor of NYC from 1839-1841) kept the home in the family through the 19th Century. The house was purchased at auction in 1905 by William F. Butler and Butler's son donated the house to the Bronx County Historical Society in 1965. The house was moved diagonally across the street to a small lot adjacent to Williamsbridge Park and became the headquarters of the Society.
Next: The Waterfront Museum and Showboat Barge