NYC Police Museum
The New York City Police Museum is a collection of NYPD artifacts representing the illustrious history of the NYPD and dedicated to the men and women who have served the citizens of New York as members of the NYPD. Formerly housed in cramped quarters at the New York City Police Academy, the museum was relocated to 100 Old Slip in 2001.
100 Old Slip was designed by the notable architectural firm of Hunt & Hunt in the neo-Italian renaissance style. It was built in 1909-1911 and served until 1973 as the home of the first precinct police station. This building replaced an 1884 police station house constructed after the great fire of 1825 on the site of the former Franklin Market. From 1993-2001, the former first precinct station served as the office of the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission.
In December 2001, the building was re-purposed and dedicated by Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani as the home of the New York City Police Museum. There is an extensive amount of material dedicated to the NYPD officers that gave their lives during the 9-11 attacks on the World Trade Center.