American founding father Alexander Hamilton commissioned architect
John McComb Jr. to design this Federal style country home for Hamilton's
32-acre upper Manhattan estate. The house was completed in 1802 and named
"The Grange" but Hamilton only lived here for two years
before being gunned down in a duel with political rival Aaron Burr
on July 11, 1804.
The original location of the house was a woody hilltop at what became 237
West 143rd Street. In 1889, it was moved four blocks west to a cramped
location at 287 Convent Avenue between St. Luke's Episocpal Church and a
six-story apartment building. The house was designated a National Historic
Landmark on December 19, 1960 and Congress authorized its designation as a
National Memorial on April 27, 1962. However, local opposition to moving the
home out of the neighborhood prevented its relocation to a more appropriate
spot. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on
October 15, 1966.
In June of 2008 the house was moved to a new spot on the northwest corner of
St. Nicholas Park and restored to something resembling its original beauty. The
move was an event in itself, with the house having to be lifted over the loggia
of the church to Convent Avenue, then rolled a block over to 141st Street and
down a 6% grade hill to it's new home in the park below.