26 Wall Street
26 Wall Street was the site of New York's City Hall during the 18th century. After the revolution, the building housed the Continental Congress and the first constitutional congress until the capitol moved to Philadelphia in 1790. The original Federal Hall was demolished in 1812.
This structure was built as a customs house and opened in 1842. It served as the US Sub-Treasury from 1862 until the Sub-Treasury became the Federal Reserve in 1920.
The building was designated a national historic site site in 1939, a national memorial in 1955, a New York City Landmark in 1965, and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.
Next: Fraunces Tavern