The NSRR runs on a 0.8-mile-long concrete viaduct through Port Richmond. The viaduct was built to eliminate dangerous at-grade street crossings in the neighborhood. It was funded by the depression-era Federal Public Works Administration and cost around $2 million. Work began in 1934 and the viaduct opened on February 25, 1937 (NY Times 12/4/1933 and 2/24/1937).
A 2000 inspection revealed the viaduct to be largely sound, although age, lack of maintenance and issues with ADA compliance would likely necessitate extensive repairs. Old station platforms and awnings still exist on the viaduct, although their poor condition and old design would probably require complete reconstruction. Consideration is also being given to replacement of the structure or demolition with restoration of the at-grade crossings - showing how easy it is to pursue short-term savings while failing to learn the lessons of history.
The viaduct begins its rise behind the water pollution control plant around Taylor Street.
The Port Richmond station was between Park Avenue (a residential street) and Richmond Avenue, a street of diversified shopping.
While a bit worse for wear, reactivation of the rail line could well be a nice shot in the arm for the shopping area, broadening the pool of potential customers. The area is largely older housing stock (often in poor condition) that might also be ripe for higher-density redevelopment.
Next: Tower Hill