The Third Street Bridge
(NYC BIN #2240250) is a double-leaf Scherzer rolling lift bascule drawbridge that carries two
16-foot-wide traffic lanes of Third Street and two 6-foot-wide sidewalks over the Gowanus Canal.
It opened in 1905 (built on the same contract as the Union and Ninth Street bridges) and
was extensively rehabilitated in 1986.
The Italianate building on the southwest corner of 3rd Ave and 3rd Street was the headquarters
of Edwin Litchfield's Brooklyn Improvement Company, which created the four basins off the
canal between 4th and 8th street. The surrounding property to the south and west was cleared in 2007 for a
Whole Foods store and possible residential development.