Just south of Third St, the canal curves to the west with the Fourth Street Basin
extending to the east.
A short channel used to pass from the 4th Street basin under a bridge on 3rd Ave to a basin
east of 3rd Ave that was called the 5th Street Basin. The basin was filled in sometime between
1953 and 1965. However, the bridge (NYC BIN 2240310), originally built in 1889 and
extensively rebuilt 2007-2008, was left in place.