The Gowanus Canal: Butler Street
The "headwaters" of the Gowanus Canal are a pumping station built in 1911 to pump seawater through a tunnel that brings water from Buttermilk Channel in upper New York Bay to the west and creates a waterflow out of the canal into Gowanus Bay. The facility features a single 7-foot-diameter propeller driven by a 600 horsepower (500 kW) electric motor that can move 200 million gallons of water per day.
Across the street from the pumping station is the Brooklyn chapter of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). Note the unused horse trough in front of the building "Presented to the ASPCA by Edith Bowdoin 1913" that is similar to a pair of troughs she placed in Central Park and Flushing.
Just to the northeast of the pumping station is Wyckoff Gardens, a 527-unit NYC housing authority development that opened on December 31, 1966.
Next: The Gowanus Canal: Douglass Street / Degraw Street