Sutter Avenue, Brownsville / East New York
Sutter Avenue is a Canarsie Line stop and presumably would be one on the Circumferential Line. The bridge over the tracks (BIN 2243890) is a 87-foot prestressed concrete bridge built in 2004 that replaced a span dating from the 1909 grade elimination project.
There is a vestigial junction that is a remnant of the Fulton Street Elevated, which was opened in 1888 by the Kings County Elevated Railroad Company to compete with the borough's first El, the Brooklyn Elevated Railroad, which had opened in 1885. The Fulton Street El initially ran from the Fulton Ferry on the East River to Nostrand Avenue and was extended within a year to a station on Atlantic Avenue in East New York (the station that has become Broadway Junction). The line then took a brief turn to the south on Van Sinderen before turning east again here on Pitkin Avenue, ultimately heading out to the Brooklyn city line at Grant Avenue. In 1900, the Kings County Elevated Railroad Company was bought out by the Brooklyn Rapid Transit Company (BRT).
The Canarsie Line (L train) opened in 1907 and used a portion of the Fulton Street El on Van Sinderen Avenue south of Broadway Junction before heading south on new track. In 1940, the three NYC transit companies were merged and the portion of the Fulton Street El from the river to Rockaway Avenue (just west of here) was abandoned because it was redundant with the newer IND Fulton Street underground line that had opened in 1936. An extension of the IND Fulton Street Line was built from Rockaway Avenue east to Euclid Avenue after WWII and opened in 1948. In 1956 a connection was made between the IND at Euclid Avenue with the Fulton Street El at 80th Street, making the section of the Fulton Street El between Van Sinderen and 80th Street redundant and obsolete. That section was finally demolished in 2004, leaving this junction alone since it was part of the structure of the Canarsie Line track.
The Glenmore Avenue Bridge (BIN 2243860) is a 108-foot prestressed concrete bridge built in 2004 that replaced a steel stringer bridge from 1930.
Next: East New York Tunnel, Brooklyn